Q. What do Smart-e's products do?
A. Smart-e specialise in the development and manufacture of Video distribution products that utilise twisted pair (CAT*)cabling.
Q. Why would I use them?
A. Many large commercial buildings are now flood wired with CAT* cabling. Coaxial cable is seldom installed and so if there is a requirement to distribute video around the building it MUST be done using the CAT* infrastructure.
Q. In what sort of applications would I use Smart-e Products.
A. A few examples of application areas are listed below but the list is endless.
- Passenger information in train / airport terminals.
- Distribution of advertising / point of sale information for supermarkets / shopping Malls.
- Distribution of video related trading data in a trading bank.
- Distribution of data from back office hardware to front office displays.
- Call waiting information display for staff in call centres.
- Domestic TV system.
Q. What Is the difference between the SmartLynx, SmartCast and SmartNet ranges of products?
A. The SmartLynx, SmartCast and SmartNet ranges of products have been designed to target specific requirements of different applications.
- SmartLynx is targeted at applications where there is a need to distribute video from a single source to a single display. We refer to this as 'Point To Point.
- SmartCast is targeted at applications where there is a need to distribute video from a single source to a number of displays. We refer to this as 'Point to Multipoint'.
- SmartNet is targeted at applications where there is a need to be able to distribute video from multiple source to multiple displays. We refer to this a 'Multipoint To Multipoint'.
Q. Since Smart-e's products use CAT* cabling can they be connected to an Ethernet network?
A. Smart-e products use the same cable as your network, but cannot be connected into your network in any way.
Q. Which CAT* cabling standard should be used with Smart-e products?
A. All Smart-e products are compatible with both EIA/TIA 568A and EIA/TIA 5688 wiring standards.
Q. Which cable Is better, Unscreened Twisted Pair (UTP) or Screened Twisted Pair (STP)?
A. UTP cable will give the best quality video over long distances because it has less capacitance per unit length. However, STP may be a better choice in electrically noisy environments.
Q. Which CATS cabling standard should be used with Smart-e products?
A. All Smart-e products are compatible with both EIA/TIA 568A and EIA/TIA 5688 wiring standards
Q. When using UTP cable, what Is the best way to ensure that the system does not suffer from any Interference?
A. This product is designed to withstand high levels of interference whilst using UTP over long distances. To further reduce the potential for interference consider the foliowing:
- Ensuring that the source and remote monitor are both connected to the same mains phase.
- Ensuring that the AC voltage across the mains grounds (at the local PC & remote monitor) is less than 2V.
- Using a clean earth system (if your site has one installed).
- Routing the interconnection cable away from other cables.
Trying STP cable if you think that there is a problem
Q. Do Smart-e offer CATS Cabling services?
A. No, but we do have a network of resellers that are able to provide these services. Please contact us for more information.
Q. Over what length of cabling can I distribute the Video signals
A. This depends upon the type and resolution of the video to be distributed and the cable type being used. As a guide please refer to below:
Y/C (S-Video) 300metres
RGsB(Sync on Green) 300metres
YPbPr (Component) 300metres
High Definition (720p/1080i)
YPbPr (Component) 225metres
VGA (800x600) 300metres
XGA (1024x768) 250metres
SXGA (1280x1024) 225metres
UXGA (1600x1200) 120metres
Q. What other signal types can Smart-e distribute over CAT* cabling.
A. Smart-e products are able to distribute quite a number of diverse signal types. Amongst them are:
- Stereo Audio
- Digital Audio (Up to 7.1)
Q. In order to distribute all of these additional signals don't you have to use more than one CATS cable?
A. Currently All of our products use only a single CAT* cable.